One of our primary targets is engineering/professional services companies based on the strength of the data contained on this page.
Our region is home to the following number of companies:
- 566 Custom Computer Programming Services
- 406 Insurance Agencies and Brokerages
- 401 Offices of Real Estate Agents and Brokers
- 373 Computer Systems Design Services
- 361 Engineering Services
- 353 Corporate, Subsidiary, and Regional Managing Offices
- 160 Offices of Certified Public Accountants
- 137 Investment Advice
- 97 Architectural Services
- 92 Securities Brokerage
- 64 Software Publishers
- 41 Freight Transportation Arrangement Companies
- 39 Data Processing, Hosting, and Related Services
- 39 Portfolio Management
- 36 Direct Property and Casualty Insurance Carriers
- 32 Heavy and Civil Engineering Construction
- 31 Internet Publishing and Broadcasting and Web Search Portals
- 29 Mortgage and Non-mortgage Loan Brokers
- 24 Payroll Services
- 24 Financial Transactions Processing, Reserve, and Clearinghouse Activities
- 14 Structural Steel and Precast Concrete Contractors
- 11 Sales Financing Companies
Our region has more people employed by the following companies than the US average:
- 118% more Drafting Services
- 81% more Pension Funds
- 64% more Offices of Real Estate Appraisers
- 55% more Surveying and Mapping Services
- 26% more Computer Facilities Management Services
- 23% more Environmental Consulting Services
Our region saw the following growth in people employed from 2010-2016:
- 130% growth in Portfolio Management
- 123% growth in Internet Publishing and Broadcasting and Web Search Portals
- 98% growth in Graphic Design Services
- 74% growth in Real Estate Credit Institutions
- 70% growth in HR Consulting Services
- 66% growth in 3rd Party Administration of Insurance and Pension Funds
- 66% growth in Investment Advice
- 46% growth in Drafting Services
- 45% growth in R&D in the Physical, Engineering, and Life Sciences
- 44% growth in Customer Computer Programming Services
- 34% growth in Marketing Consulting Services
- 25% growth in Computer Systems Design Services
- 13% growth in Data Processing, Hosting, and Related Services
- 13% growth in Payroll Services
- 8% growth in Claims Adjusting Companies
- 8% growth in Engineering Services
We have over 127,000 people in our region with Bachelor’s degrees, 1% more than the national average. Over 72,000 people have a graduate degree or higher in our region.
The following represents the number of people employed in our region in the representative occupations currently:
|Finance and Insurance||5,940|
|Professional, Scientific, and Technical Services||10,024|
|Management of Companies and Enterprises||3,041|
Verizon Smart Park, Telecommunications Infrastructure
FirstPark is pre-permitted with lots ready for development with underground infrastructure and a dual fiber loop. FirstPark is a certified Smart Park as certified by Verizon.
We have air service via Bangor International Airport and Portland International Jetport. Portland has service from low cost carriers Southwest and JetBlue as well as
American, Delta, Elite, JetBlue, Southwest, and United. Bangor has up to 20 flights a day via Allegiant, American, Delta, and United.
Interstate 95 borders FirstPark to the east. I-95 serves all the major cities on the east coast such as Boston, Providence, New York, Philadelphia, Washington, and runs all the way to Miami in the Southeast. We are literally Canada’s gateway to the United States via I-95 and among the first areas of development accessible off I-95 from Canada coming south.
Colby College is ranked 12th by U.S. News & World Report among liberal arts colleges in the U.S. The college offers 54 major fields of study. Forbes ranked Colby the 61st best institution of higher learning in the USA. Colby has international studies programs in which Colby recognizes their inclusion for calculated grade -point averages at The International Center for French Studies at the University of Burgundy in Dijon, France; the St. Petersburg Classical Gymnasium in Saint Petersburg, Russia; and The University of Salamanaca in Salamanaca, Spain.
Thomas College is home to the Harold Alfond Institute for Business Innovation. The institute provides instruction, training, events, mentoring, and access to talent for students, entrepreneurs, and businesses. Click here to learn more: https://www.thomas.edu/institute/. Additionally, Thomas College guarantees all its graduates a job. Thomas specializes in business, education, and technology.
University of Maine at Augusta
The University of Maine at Augusta is ranked among the top public comprehensive colleges in the north region by U.S. News & World Report. The university offers programs and degrees in: Applied Science, Architecture, Art, Aviation, Biology, Business Administration, Computer Information Systems, Cybersecurity, Dental, English, Information and Library Science, Interdisciplinary Studies, Justice Studies, Liberal Studies, Medical Lab Technology, Mental Health and Human Services, Music, Nursing, Public Administration, Social Science, Teacher Preparation, and Veterinary Technology.
Kennebec Valley Community College
The Kennebec Valley Community College is accredited by the New England Association of Schools and Colleges and offers more than 30 degree, diploma, and certificate programs including, but not limited to: Applied Electronics & Computer Technology, Business Administration, Computer Systems Integration, Health Information Technology, and Medical Coding.
Sales Tax Rate: Maine has the 8th lowest sales tax rate in the USA!
Language Schools: We have 10 language schools in our region.
Support Services for International Companies
We have access to the following professional service companies in our region, of which we introduce you to the support you need:
- 525 Law Offices
- 162 Temporary Staffing Services
- 160 Offices of CPAs
- 35 3rd-Party Logistics Providers
- 34 Employment Placement Agencies
- 24 Payroll Services
- 22 Professional Employer Organizations
- 16 Executive Search Companies