One of our primary targets is light manufacturing based on the strength of the data contained on this page.
Our region is home to the following number of light manufacturing companies:
- 15 Jewelry and Silverware Manufacturing
- 9 Surgical Appliance and Supplies Manufacturing
- 7 Prefabricated Wood Building Manufacturing
- 7 Sporting and Athletic Goods Manufacturing
- 6 Doll, Toy, and Game Manufacturing
- 6 Urethane and Other Foam Product Manufacturing
- 5 Wood Window and Door Manufacturing
- 5 Saw Blade and Handtool Manufacturing
- 5 Musical Instrument Manufacturing
- 4 Pharmaceutical Preparation Manufacturing
- 4 Electronic Component Manufacturing
- 3 Plastics Bottle Manufacturing
- 3 Glass Product Manufacturing Made of Purchased Glass
- 3 Analytical Laboratory Instrument Manufacturing
- 2 Corrugated and Solid Fiber Box Manufacturing
- 2 Laminated Plastics Plate, Sheet (except Packaging), and Shape Manufacturing
- 2 Metal Window and Door Manufacturing
- 2 Dental Equipment and Supplies Manufacturing
- 2 Ophthalmic Goods Manufacturing
- 1 Electromedical and Electrotherapeutic Apparatus Manufacturing
Our region saw the following growth in people employed in light manufacturing companies from 2010-2016:
- 760% growth in Glass Product Manufacturing Made of Purchased Glass
- 129% growth in Metal Window and Door Manufacturing
- 110% growth in Handtool Manufacturing
- 63% growth in Electronic Component Manufacturing
- 54% growth in Corrugated and Solid Fiber Box Manufacturing
- 53% growth in Laminated Plastics Plate, Sheet (except Packaging), and Shape Manufacturing
- 49% growth in Prefabricated Wood Building Manufacturing
- 44% growth in Plastics Bottle Manufacturing
- 36% growth in Urethane and Other Foam Product Manufacturing
- 36% growth in Analytical Laboratory Instrument Manufacturing
- 30% growth in Pharmaceutical Preparation Manufacturing
- 22% growth in Electromedical and Electrotherapeutic Apparatus Manufacturing
- 21% growth in Sporting and Athletic Goods Manufacturing
Our region has more people employed in the following light manufacturing sectors than the USA average:
- 685% more employed in Laminated Plastics Plate, Sheet (except Packaging), and Shape Manufacturing
- 84% more employed in Saw Blade and Handtool Manufacturing
- 79% more employed in Pharmaceutical Preparation Manufacturing
- 71% more employed in Urethane and Other Foam Product Manufacturing
- 37% more employed in Prefabricated Wood Building Manufacturing
- 29% more employed in Wood Window and Door Manufacturing
- 13% more employed in Glass Product Manufacturing Made of Purchased Glass
- 5% more employed in Analytical Laboratory Instrument Manufacturing
No Inventory Tax: Maine does not have an inventory tax.
Workforce: 21,107 people are employed in manufacturing in our region.
Maine Port Authority
The Maine Port Authority in Augusta operates the International Marine Intermodal Terminal which has intermodal capabilities to rail, maritime, and truck services.
DHL, FedEx, UPS, Portland Air Freight, and Telford Group all provide air freight service to our area.
Bangor International Airport is capable of handling any commercial cargo carrier presently flying while specializing in helping with the origination or receipt of cargo shipments. BGR operates a diverse array of loading and unloading equipment including main deck loaders, container cargo loaders, transporters for palletized cargo, cargo scales (20,000 lb. capability) and forklifts. For low-cost, problem free and highly experienced freight and cargo handling, BGR offers: • Strategic location • 24 hour Federal Inspection Services for U. S. Port of Entry • All weather access CAT III, 11,440 ft. (3,486m) runway • Low cost all inclusive/all aircraft ground and cargo handling services • No restrictions, surcharges, Canadian NAV/User fees, or other “hidden costs” • Immediate access to the eastern seaboard highway network • 12 million square feet of ramp space • 20,000 sq. feet of heated cargo storage space • FAA/EASA maintenance • Free Trade Zone • Full service banks & law firms with international expertise and experience • Uncongested access—air and land.
More than 20 million pounds of air cargo is annually shipped through the Portland International Jetport.
Commercial Air Service
We have commercial air service via Bangor International Airport and Portland International Jetport. Portland has service from low cost carriers Southwest and JetBlue as well as American, Delta, Elite, JetBlue, Southwest, and United. Bangor has up to 20 flights a day via Allegiant, American, Delta, and United.
Interstate 95 borders FirstPark to the east. I-95 serves all the major cities on the east coast such as Boston, Providence, New York, Philadelphia, Washington, and runs all the way to Miami in the Southeast. We are literally Canada’s gateway to the United States via I-95 and among the first areas of development accessible off I-95 from Canada coming south.
Loeb-Sullivan School of International Business and Logistics
The Maine Maritime Academy’s Loeb-Sullivan School of International Business and Logistics offers Bachelors of Science in International and Business Logistics and Masters in International Logistics Management degree programs in our region. Click here to learn more: http://mainemaritime.edu/academics/graduate-programs/.
Thomas College is home to the Harold Alfond Institute for Business Innovation. The institute provides instruction, training, events, mentoring, and access to talent for students, entrepreneurs, and businesses. Learn more on the Thomas College website. Additionally, Thomas College guarantees all its graduates a job. Thomas specializes in business, education, and technology.
Kennebec Valley Community College
The Kennebec Valley Community College builds a customized workforce training which recruits, screens, and trains workers for manufacturing companies.
Sales Tax Rate: Maine has the 8th lowest sales tax rate in the USA!
Language Schools: We have 10 language schools in our region.
Support Services for International Companies
We have access to the following professional service companies in our region, of which we introduce you to the support you need:
- 525 Law Offices
- 162 Temporary Staffing Services
- 160 Offices of CPAs
- 34 Employment Placement Agencies
- 24 Payroll Services
- 22 Professional Employer Organizations
- 16 Executive Search Companies